Returned today from a hospital visit at Stobhill where the surgeon's explained to my Dad and I and of course our good ladies (mum and Sandra) exactly what the next stages of the transplant process are.
In simple terms both Dad and I need to speak to an independent assesor to ensure that we are fully aware of what we are undertaking and thereafter we can firm up on a date. It would appear thereafter that the Surgeons have 6 months to carry out the transplant however, it looks like things may be set for November.
Tuesday, 25 August 2009
Many Client’s don’t understand that when undertaking a self build that the Certification of the build by the Architect is an important and often mandatory Funding Requirement, but what are the implications of not obtaining an Architect’s Certificate when the Client is self funding?
The Certification process involves Architect’s site inspection at key stages of the build thus ensuring for the Funder (typically the Bank) that the build is true to the Planning and Warrant Approvals and in keeping with good building practice. Obviously the Architect’s Professional Indemnity Insurance would be called in should a problem occur with the house but the insurance would only pay out when it is proven that the Architect acted out with his means in signing off the stage.
When the Client is self funding the build then it’s quite common that they will avoid Architectural Certification and this may be ok in the short term until such times as the house is offered up to the market for sale. The purchaser’s solicitor would typically ask for the Architect’s Certificate on a self build and if the Vendor cannot provide this then it is extremely unlikely that the Purchaser’s Solicitor and Funder would accept the house.
In my opinion the Certification of the house is a small price to pay for piece of mind especially after such a huge investment.
Certification of the house can vary between £1500 - £2500 depending on the size of the house.
Wednesday, 19 August 2009
Here is the tweet post sent by Lance Armstrong from the U2 Concert at Hampden Park, Glasow when he met the legendary Frank Gerhy. Kyle from Podcastmatters also managed to capture some video footage of Lance's trip to Paisley earlier in the day.
Wednesday, 5 August 2009
I have been asked on several occasions to write some script on the New Scottish Planning Regime. Instead I came across this interesting article by Biggart Baillie and hope that it fulfills all of your queries. Please click here.
Tuesday, 4 August 2009
Yes that’s right I like most people only need one kidney so that’s why I have decided to give the other one to my dad. That’s him (Hugh) in the picture. The picture was taken on my wedding day at Auchen Castle, Moffat.
Dad has been ill for almost 10 years and despite the fact that he is extremely well and has a long life expectancy his quality of life is not what it should be. He is a youthful man all things considered. Dad now has 3 grand daughters all under the age of 2 and has a lot to look forward to.
After careful discussion with my wife, Sandra we agreed just over a year ago that I would put my name forward for a transplant. On the day that I called Dad’s nurse to enquire how to go about it, I got a tearful call from Mum. Dad was in hospital with a suspected heart attack! Granted he drove himself to the hospital! Make your own mind up about what scenario is most worrying. As it turned out Dad actually had an Angina attack but as such he was removed from the Transplant List.
I continued with the initial testing and this has been going on for just over a year. The testing included blood screening and matching and general health and well being discussions and thereafter we needed to wait for Doctors to confirm that Dad’s health was ok to go forward with the Transplant ie put him back on the list. Even although I am a live donor he still needs to be on the list. Dad and I met the Surgeon about 2 months ago and he agreed that Dad was ok to go back on the list, although associated risks would be higher.
Over the last month I have undergone a Kidney function test, assessing the efficiency of both of my kidneys and I did last week undergo an MRI scan to assess the entry and exit of the main blood vessels in and out of the Kidney. The function test went well but we still await the results of the MRI scan.
Everything going well we hope to be under the knife before Christmas.
I have decided to blog about our journey through this period because I think it may help other people in a similar situation. Likewise, I would be happy to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation and have them add their particular experience or, comment on my own story.
Keep checking for further updates.